DHS - a Spotify adventure

DHS is all about music - specifically music chosen, on Spotify, by D, H & S.

The three of us choose five songs at a time, add them to a Spotify playlist, and explain why we've chosen them. Once we've done that six times each we close the list and open the next one. Occasionally we review what we've picked and add it to 'the best of' playlist and once in a blue moon we each select an entire album.



Sunday, 10 July 2011

DHS 8 - 15 (D)

Well its that time again. It must have been a while since I posted my spot selection this quickly - a couple of reasons really - one im ahead of the game with my selections and 2 I spent a few happy hours shopping and chilling in that there London with spot turned up loud and the last 10 selections on sole rotation, and what fun that was. So with a good half a dozen listens under my belt I feel well placed to comment and bring forth my humble offerings.

Firstly, and as ever more shall it be thus; cap well and truly doffed lads. A very strong 10 selections to these ears and really made for a cracking saturday for me and theyve been on again today, and a few have made it on to the prestigious 'rob personal' list and there is no praise higher than that.

So Chi mai was up first by the man like morricone, and its a classic isnt it. Quite sad to these ears and I dont like sad music too much, but at one point on the tube it came on and I was going to flick to the next one but something kept me hooked in - the beauty of the music Im fairly sure. Nice. And then a double hit of momu and well, those 2 bad boys are on what I consider my finest ever mix and I dont think I need to say anything more there. Midland is the only one im not big on with your selections Kev, just dont like that tune Im afraid, however ID by Kasabian is IMMENSE and I'd never heard it before - nice one.

Lovely start with 'Give it Up' Hodge old boy, really floaty feel good tune - reminds me of sexy boy by air in that vocal, really gets the head nodding. Loving the reversed beats too. The Last Dance is another corking track, gotta love that vocal and the haunting vocal stabs - wonderfully put together. Reminds me of another track I just cant put my finger on... Ocean Breeze im not too keen on the squeaky melody but thats a big fat bad bassline isnt it ? And the better bassier melody prevalent in the second half is ace. Tremendous. That Scaramanga is a real builder, this would get me going in a warm up set for sure. And I think I might mix 'Finally Mine' into it, those 2 would be ace layered together, thats a top vocal i reckon. Cracking tune that demands to be played loud. Nice big kick drums too.

Ok Im going to do something slightly different for my selection... 5 tracks, 2 artists. 2 classics, 3 that may or may not be new to you. Like this idea actually, so much so that im saving 2 absolute BELTERS for my next selection...

FPI Project 'Everybody' & 'Rich in Paradise'. Seminal tracks, which is better ? Everybody by a whisker for me, but whos counting. Massively influential to me and possibly why I love piano house so much - featured on a cd called 'havin' it dancefloor classics' from way back when and that cd got fucking rinsed. Both of these are stop talking and start dancing tracks if they came on in a club.

Moby has a new album called Destroyed and 3 tracks at least are unbelievably good. They are 'Victoria Lucas' which I'll lead you in with, lovely piano that becomes more insistent and the trademark mobester strings, and a percussion section that just builds and builds. 'The Violent Bear it Away' piano again, and so emotional - if this doesnt leave a mark on your senses I'll be amazed, its so uplifting. And if you think that got you going, wait till Lacrimae hits its crescendo - these tunes are late at night, loud on the headphones style business. Moby's best stuff for a very long time for me. Hope you like.

Stare at the geezers so they know you aint lightweight.

One Love

No comments:

Post a Comment